I didn’t put a single stitch into fabric at all during August. I’m very disappointed with myself! Instead, I’ve been trying out new crafts here and there, and making up some old finished cross stitches into cards and hangings.
Most of these weren’t stitched by me, but were done by my Nana before she lost her eyesight. I couldn’t bear the thought of her throwing them out, so I’ve tidied them up as best I can and we’ve together made them into cards for her to send to her friends or keep for herself. I’ve been trying out a die cutting machine, which is pretty new for me as well – that was a lot of fun!
Here’s some of mine and my Nana’s joint efforts from this month:
This is Mr. Christmas Teddy from a few months ago, made into a padded tree hanging.
This was my first go at die cutting. The choices of embellishments were my Nana’s, as was the embroidery. I just did the cutting and sticking and so on!
These cute little garden bird buddies were Nana’s embroideries too. I made them up into a sort of matching set of cards, because they were too small to really do much else with, but still too large for an aperture card.
I hate how this one came out. The card stock was too floppy for the weight of the tapestry wool, the aperture is off centre and the picture doesn’t quite fit at all. I’m going to take it out and mount it onto a make up bag instead – but it’s important to record my failures as well as my successes in craft and in life I think!
I hope September will see me get back into crafting a bit more, as I start a new job (yet again!) with more regular lunch breaks for extra stitching time!
I hope everyone else has had a fun and productive month too!
A lovely friend at work gave me some of the cardmaking equivalent of magazine cover kits, to help me try out new techniques. A lot of these things were probably super simple to veteran papercrafters, but it was all totally new and exciting to me. I made this thing!
It’s an easel card, which means the recipient can pop it up so that it stands like shown above. I mostly followed the instructions, but as I do with cross stitch, I got a bit carried away and just went off in my own direction a bit with gems and ribbons and so on.
The main thing that came out of these experiments is: when making funny shaped cards, what are you supposed to do for an envelope? I ended up just using some that were way too big, but it looked a bit scruffy and I wasn’t happy with this solution. Are there custom envelope sizes? Am I supposed to make my own? I never knew envelopes could be such a problem!
I’ve also been doing some tapestry this week, but I don’t want to show you that until I’ve found a suitable frame or finish for it.
I finished the sampler I started working on last week, and am generally pretty pleased with it. Here it is before mounting:
I’m just ever so slightly dissatisfied with the spacing of the words, I think they could have done with being one square to the right maybe? In any case, given the deadline for getting this done, I didn’t have time to mess around with changing it and then maybe changing it back and so on. I just had to mount it up and post it off, like so:
I was trying to go for a sort of rustic / folk art kind of feel to go with the fairly traditional sampler, but as usual I got carried away and had to add something sparkly. Never mind, I know the recipient likes sparkles too!
And with this done, I’m back to focusing 100% on the Pokemon picture. Hopefully I can finish Page 10 this week!
As February comes to a close and Spring gives way to Winter, I can’t help but notice that I am STILL stitching CHRISTMAS things! What is wrong with me!? I don’t know if it’s because I love Christmas so much, or I just can’t work up the energy to go through the stash box and sort out something a little more appropriate for the time of year. Looking back though, I was stitching Summer holiday things in December, so maybe as a stitcher I am destined to always be working on unseasonable things!
Here’s a Christmas card I put together from a cover kit using some of the techniques my card making-sensei has been teaching me:
I hope for my next update to have done something more substantial, now that I am fully back in good health, and my Postgrad courses are coming to a close. I would love love love to be able to get back to working on my Magnum Opus, so please be patient with me while I write up my final essay- I can’t wait!
I’ve been so busy this week that I barely stitched a single little X on any of my projects! Instead, a very kind lady at my office has been giving me a sort of introduction to paper craft, and I’ve been trying my hand at something a little different. I’ve made a few paper craft cards before for Christmases past, but I’ve never had a proper lesson on the basics, I’ve always just sort of made it up as I go along.
So, instead of a stitching post this week, I want to proudly show off my first ever decoupage card!
I know that to my very talented and experienced readers, this is probably laughably simple but nevertheless, I’m really pleased with it! I spent so long with my little craft knife cutting around those petals oh-so-carefully, hoping it would turn out how I wanted. I have so much new found respect for papercrafters who make it look so easy to just swoop their knives around and produce perfect swirls and curves!
I hope with practice and a few more lessons I’ll be turning out a batch of beautiful decoupage cards to go with my stitched ones this year. And of course, as the weeks count down, I wish all my readers the very best of luck and speediest of needles for their own Christmas preparations!